Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Afterlife...

Twice in my life, I thought I was going to die. I remember those days vividly... not the date and time, or the clothes that I was wearing or those of others involved... Just the event and what was running in my mind.

I was probably studying in II Std... My cousin's family was going out on a trip to Mysore, Brindavan gardens, Jog falls and areas around there. I went along... We were standing on the banks of the river(the name I don't recall...). We were standing on the rocks along the shore...the cold water climbed the rocks the lick our feet and receded slowly... I have no idea how I slipped. And straight into the cold waters I went. I panicked. I had no idea how to swim! I tried to come above the water... It wasn't too deep, but somehow I was just not able to. I knew I was bobbing up and down below the water, and was moving towards the deeper side. As I watched the bubbles from my mouth escape through the surface, the only thought that crossed my mind was "This is it. I am over..." One of my older cousins had the presence of mind to give me a hand and pull me up. Thanks to her. I am breathing today!

The second incident was more recent... We were had gone to Wonder La, an amusement park in Bangalore. There was this ride called "Insanity". I got onto it and locked myself in my seat... It was the first time I was taking one of those rides and I wasn't exactly sure how the locking mechanism worked. The supervisor didn't come to check the safety latch, and the ride commenced. As the seats were moving in all possible directions, I could hear my seat making creaking noises... and I was sure that the lock would give way and I would come hurtling to the floor. "I am going to die... "... this was the only thing I thought through the ride. Once it was over, I got off to safety... I learnt that there was an electronic locking mechanism apart from the mechanical one. So it was rather fool-proof and I had worried without reason...

About a month ago, (on 26th Nov, 2008 to be more precise), hundreds of people lost their lives to the madness of 10 men who had no independence in thought or action... I can only think of the two times in my life that I thought I was going to die...

No comments: