Sunday, March 30, 2008

Tomorrow

I awoke to complete darkness. I wondered if I was trying to look at the world with closed eyes. No. It was just that the place was entirely devoid of light. I felt like I had been sucked into a black hole. "Black-hole - where the universe had set up a giant vacuum cleaner to suck up any light in the vicinity".

I groped in the dark for my crutches. My hands did not touch anything... I was not able to feel the floor on which I lay. I mused if I were afloat and smiled to myself. As if that were possible! I shook my head at this bizarre thought and tried to stand up, knowing that I may never succeed - what without my crutches and no floor or wall to support me! I was pleasantly surprised at the ease with which I was able to rise. Maybe there was a floor... a magic one!

I placed my right foot ahead. And then my left. I couldn't feel the movement in my limbs, although I was certain I must have moved. But there was no way for me to know if I had advanced or not. I only knew that there was no pain anymore. This filled me with a sense of happiness that was totally new to me. I wanted to walk, to run... till I tired... and I did run. I ran for all I was worth... for all the seven years of my life that I had not been able to walk... I ran. I wanted to run till my legs gave way when the magic wore off or until my weak lungs gave way, short of breath. Neither did.


The good doctor. The kind soul who blessed me with redemption from all the pain. The pain that I was cursed with by God in Heaven. The doctor - my God on Earth. If only he knew what it was like... this journey to heaven... and how grateful I feel for his act of perjury! Euthanasia -an absolutely disarming name for a blissful act. I'd simply say "SLEEP".

Vacuum. Didn't know this was how it felt. Empty.

No zephyr in this black-hole. My happiness was sucked up too... the way my pain had been. Just like the light and the air. Was I heaven-bound? But in heaven, there must be an ethereal glow. There must be the fragrance of flowers carried by the gentle breeze. There must be the rainbow and gardens and butterflies and sweet music... There must be happiness. Oh! Is there a heaven? Or am I cursed to spend my after-life also in Hell? Is this the beginning of after-the-end? Oh! I can't think... I feel the black around me moving in waves... I am swimming... I need to stay afloat...

I was doing a timeless float till tomorrow... that's when I will know where I will be...

Nothing. Just BLACK.



No comments: